Sunday 24 March 2013

KNITTING SOLO

I had a very proud Granny moment last night when Charlotte picked up her knitting and for the first time did two rows of garter stitch all on her own. She has been keen to learn for a long time and we have already made a couple of  tiny dolls' scarves as a joint effort. 


The only trouble is being a 6 year old school takes up a big part of her day, grabbing a few moments for a grandmother/grandchild knit and natter is a time to be cherished. We all hear time and time again that children grow up far too fast but the fact of the matter is, they do!
Only last night Charlotte bounded into the kitchen with the question "what's for dinner Granny?"
I'd chosen my dinner menu carefully, I had cooked something I knew was on their favourite list. Well, that's what  I thought!
"We've got chicken....." I went to continue my reply when her voice pleaded, "please, don't say casserole!"
I turned to see her chin drop to the floor while her eyes raised to the ceiling. For that mini second she could have been any age between 6 and 16. I correctly assumed dinner would not go down well. The threat of "no befores meant no afters" failed to  encourage her as I soon found that apple pie and ice cream had also been dropped from the favourite list.
Her sister on the other hand at 3 eat the whole lot however, no doubt that will all change by the time she gets to 6.
It was just moments after dinner that we snuggled up on the sofa and did some knitting. As I said earlier we must grab the magical best bits whenever we can.






5 comments:

  1. My youngest son used to eat everything until he turned 12, now he is the pickiest of eaters, my eldest was affectionately (through gritted teeth) known as the air plant as we never knew what he survived on and now hoovers up everything on his plate and has seconds - phew! Nice knitting and nattering though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you have a budding vegetarian, Rachel was about that age when she stopped eating meat!!!! Although she would have scoffed the Apple Pie and Ice cream. Glad Charlotte has taken to knitting that's brilliant.

    ReplyDelete